Veterinary chiropractic is a medical practice of spinal manipulation and therapy including massages for animals. The nerves that surround each joint and vertebral articulation are in constant communication with the central nervous system, brain and all organs. Because of this, the benefits include enhanced performance and improved quality of life. There are uneven regulations and licensing standards in North America but they have to be performed by trained Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) who met the minimal standard set by the Animal Chiropractic Accreditation Commission. So what can a chiropractor do for your dog?
Below are a few proposed benefits and conditions that are proposed to benefit from chiropractic treatments.
1) Pain reduction and management
2) Increase range of movement
3) Relief and improve conditions caused by subluxation, which is the misalignment of bones of the spine and joints. Subluxations can adversely affect the nervous system, local muscles, joints, and even distant organs, glands, and body functions.
4) Treat internal organs disfunction – each spinal nerve leads directly or indirectly to a specific organ
5) Improve cardio and respiratory condition
6) Improve gastrointestinal disorder
7) Encourage circulation and metabolism within the muscles
8) Promote the supply of nutrients and removal of toxins
9) Promote healing in muscular injuries by loosening fiber adhesion and increase the flow of fluid and toxins from the tissue
10) Treat repetitive use injuries
11) Treat abnormal weight bearing
12) Treat altered gait
13) Treat misaligned joints
14) Treat forelimb lameness
15) Relieve stiffness
16) Treat jaw and neck injuries
17) Treat back injuries
18) Provide osteoarthritis relief
19) Improve athletic competitiveness
20) Allow certain surgeries without involving anesthesia
21) Treat seizures or neurological problems
22) Treat behavior or mood change
23) Post surgical care
Thinking of looking up a chiropractor? Search a American Veterinary Chiropractic Association certified doctor from this link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veterinary_chiropractic, retrieved 8/2/2013
http://animalchiropractornc.com/Animal_Chiropractic/, retrieved 8/2/2013
http://www.lasvegasanimalchiro.com/faqs.php, retrieved 8/2/2013