- BBQ: Charcoal briquettes, which dogs seem to love to lap up or steal from the grill due to the grease from previous cooking, can easily get stuck in the stomach, causing vomiting and requiring surgery. Barbecue scraps and fatty leftovers can give your pup pancreatitis, causing severe abdominal pain or death.
- Stagnant Water: Standing water can be a breeding ground for parasites, bacteria, and worms. Should your dog go for a dip or take a sip, he runs the risk of serious illness. Blue-green algae grows in stagnant water, and becomes concerning when this algae accumulates on the surface of the water during hot, dry weather. Affected water may have the appearance of pea soup with thick layers of algae on the surface. Blooms of blue-green algae can contain hepatoxins and/or neurotoxins, depending on the species. Exposures occur when dogs ingest or swim in water that contains the cyanobateria which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, weakness, shock, icterus (yellow gums), and potentially death within 24 hours to several days.
- Cocoa Mulch: Cocoa beans contains theobromine which is toxic to dogs. Some garden mulch nowadays is made from cocoa bean shells being marketed as environmentally friendly, but it smells like chocolate, which will attract your dog. While the smell may wear off over time, decreasing the likelihood that your pet will eat it, the mulch still remains poisonous.
- Sago Palm Seeds: All parts of the sago palm are poisonous to dogs but the seeds are the worst. Not many of the dogs who ingested the sago palm survived even with veterinary treatment. The palm seeds could also become lodged in the animal’s intestine, causing serious problems.
- Pesticides and Fertilizers: Whenever chemicals are used in the yard, it is logical that there could be a danger to pets. Pesticides can be dangerous even in small amounts. Also, be particularly careful about fertilizers containing blood meal, bone meal, feather meal, or iron. These can be tasty to your pets but can cause obstructions in the gastrointestinal tract as well as severe pancreatitis or iron poisoning.
- Plants & Weeds: Orange and other citrus trees are popular in states like California and Florida. Their stems, leaves, peels, fruit and seeds contain varying amounts of citric acid, limonin and oils that can cause irritation and possibly even central nervous system depression if they are ingested in significant amounts your dog. Corn Plant is a common indoor plant. Puppies are especially vulnerable because they will chew on anything from your pillow to fake plants, and definitely indoor plants as well. Corn plant can cause vomiting, depression, drooling, lack of coordination and weakness. Numerous ornamental and garden plants can be poisonous to your pet. Lilly of the Valley and Fall Crocuses can be very dangerous to pets. Some plants will not necessarily cause lasting harm to your pets but might make them vomit or otherwise feel briefly sick. Azaleas are common backyard shrubs that can be toxic for dogs and cats if ingested, resulting in drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, heart arrhythmias, or an abnormal heart rate. Some species of mushrooms are toxic and may cause shock/death. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. Some species of mushroom can be fatal for dogs. Watch out for mushrooms that sprout naturally in your yard. Call your vet or go directly to an emergency clinic if ingested.
- Slug Bait and Rodent Poison: Slug and snail baits are highly poisonous to dogs and if ingested, can be fatal without prompt veterinary attention. Meanwhile, not only is rat poison also toxic to your pets, they can also become ill if they eat a rodent that has ingested the poison. Pets can also be injured by traps meant for rodents or other animals.
https://shine.yahoo.com/pets/7-hidden-dangers-backyard-pose-threat-pet-181500553.html, retrieved 4/2/2014
http://www.pawnation.com/2012/06/18/7-hidden-pet-dangers-in-your-outdoor-spaces/2, retrieved 4/3/2014
http://www.thepetbeastro.com/2012/05/sixbackyard-dangers-for-your-pets/, retrieved 4/3/2014